Researchers at Ithaka S+R including William G. Bowen (former president of Princeton University), Matthew M. Chingos (also a fellow at the Brookings Institution’s Brown Center on Education Policy), Kelly A. Lack, and Thomas I. Nygren, have followed Ithaka S+R’s recent report titled “Barriers to Adoption of Online Learning Systems in U.S. Higher Education” with a second that reports the findings of a series of randomized trials related to online learning conducted at six public universities.
Tag Archives | Impact of the Economy on Higher Education
The October 2011 issue of American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research’s (AEI) Education Outlook included an interesting analysis of the total cost of a bachelor’s degree titled, “Cheap for Whom?: How Much Higher Education Costs Taxpayers.” The authors, Mark Schneider and Jorge Klor de Alva, go beyond a surface analysis of tuition rates, student fees, and books.
In March 2000, the heads of state of the European Union (EU) nations set an ambitious goal for themselves: to make the EU “’the most competitive and dynamic knowledge-based economy in the world, capable of sustainable economic growth with more and better jobs and greater social cohesion’” by 2010. Known as the Lisbon Agenda, this program aimed to revitalize the nations of the EU that had collectively experienced economic stagnation in the years preceding the agreement.
Today’s higher education environment vis-à-vis the national economic situation has ignited a debate over whether a college degree is worth the cost. Significant budget cuts in many states have meant that colleges are raising tuitions, increasing fees, and offering less in scholarship money to students. Few students had enough money saved to pay for college prior to the economic downturn which has had a catastrophic impact on many schools (see my daily headline postings and links in the “Impact of the Economy on Higher Education” section of my blog for some examples).
- The NCAA Final Four – A Weekend to Remember April 23, 2015
- Podcast: Pioneering Learning Relationship Management April 2, 2015
- ‘THE END OF COLLEGE: Creating the Future of Learning and the University of Everywhere’ by Kevin Carey March 25, 2015
- Remaking College: The Changing Ecology of Higher Education March 17, 2015
- Change is Hard but – if Needed – Change before it’s Too Late March 10, 2015
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns August 6, 2008
- The “Myths” About Online Education May 4, 2010
- Higher Ed’s Economic Challenges May 25, 2010
- In the clamor for increasing graduation and persistence rates, are we ignoring the student at risk factors and student characteristics? February 22, 2012
- Charlene Li’s Groundswell May 27, 2008
- Change is Hard but - if Needed - Change before it’s Too Late |: […] Briar alive and others are wondering why...
- Wally Boston| Recalibrating Regulation of Colleges and Universities |: […] the growth in Department of Education re...
- Wally Boston | Educational Attainment: Tracking the Academic Success of Servicemembers and Veterans |: […] much has been written about college pers...
- Wally Boston| What Stays in Vegas |: […] in the future will most likely increase,...
- Wally Boston| Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the U.S. |: […] year’s report is notable for several c...
Blogs I Read
- Access with Success (Larry Penley)
- All Things Digital (Walt Mossberg)
- Center for College Affordability & Productivity
- Changing Higher Education
- Courageous Learning
- Durham in Wonderland
- New Realities in Higher Education
- Solutions for Our Future
- Southwest Airlines
- The College Puzzle
- Technology & Learning
- American Military University
- American Public University
- American Public University System
- Center for Teaching and Learning
- The Stream Multimedia
- Community of Scholars
- Scholar of the Week
- Education Trends
- Inside Higher Ed
- Journal of Internet Learning
- Campus Technology
- University Business
- Milken-Penn GSE Education Business Plan Competition
- Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration
- Excelsior College Presidents Forum
- Policy Studies Organization
- Connections Academy
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment
- Jefferson County Economic Development Authority