Last Thursday and Friday, American Public University System (APUS) hosted its annual commencement recognizing all students who graduated over the previous 12 months. While degrees and diplomas are conferred and distributed quarterly, we have held an annual commencement ceremony in the Washington, DC area for more than a decade.
Tag Archives | Army
Today is Veterans Day, a day designed to celebrate our nation’s armed forces, their commitment, and their ultimate sacrifices. Though this day comes only once each year, the special individuals to whom it is dedicated deserve our thanks every day. The last year has been a tumultuous one for the entire world and the men and women of the American military have been engaged in various theaters of operations beyond Iraq and Afghanistan.
Two weeks ago, we recognized the graduation of 5,589 students with a graduation ceremony in the Gaylord National Hotel and Convention Center at National Harbor, Maryland. This year’s graduating class was the largest in the history of the American Public University System (APUS) and its institutions, American Military University (AMU) and American Public University (APU). Our 5,589 graduates were awarded 2,388 master’s degrees, 2,506 bachelor’s degrees, and 695 associate’s degrees and hailed from all 50 states in the United States and 17 other countries.
The world’s response to the situation in Haiti over the next few days will be critical in finding survivors, helping the injured, and providing food, water, and other supplies to a nation devastated by the disastrous earthquake which hit that country on January 12th. We know that we will have students and faculty members deployed to Haiti as members of the Marines, Coast Guard, Navy, Army, Air Force, emergency and disaster rescue teams from states, counties, and municipalities, United Nations peacekeeping troops, and other agencies that have yet to be named in the press.
Ed Strong was one of my grad school professors at Tulane. On one of my early postings on this blog, I mentioned his name with a list of professors who I found notable for their teaching abilities when I was in college. Ed found that posting and sent me a note. We have remained in touch off and on through email and Facebook.
- Managing the Learner Relationship to Improve Outcomes November 13, 2015
- Saluting, and Serving, our Veterans November 10, 2015
- Arts and Humanities in Online Education: Ushering in the New Era September 16, 2015
- Moving Beyond College: Rethinking Higher Education Regulation for an Unbundled World September 9, 2015
- American Public University System and the Defense Acquisition University Partner to Advance Today’s Acquisition Professionals September 2, 2015
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns August 6, 2008
- The “Myths” About Online Education May 4, 2010
- In the clamor for increasing graduation and persistence rates, are we ignoring the student at risk factors and student characteristics? February 22, 2012
- Charlene Li’s Groundswell May 27, 2008
- Higher Ed’s Economic Challenges May 25, 2010
- Change is Hard but - if Needed - Change before it’s Too Late |: […] Briar alive and others are wondering why...
- Wally Boston| Recalibrating Regulation of Colleges and Universities |: […] the growth in Department of Education re...
- Wally Boston | Educational Attainment: Tracking the Academic Success of Servicemembers and Veterans |: […] much has been written about college pers...
- Wally Boston| What Stays in Vegas |: […] in the future will most likely increase,...
- Wally Boston| Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the U.S. |: […] year’s report is notable for several c...
Blogs I Read
- Access with Success (Larry Penley)
- All Things Digital (Walt Mossberg)
- Center for College Affordability & Productivity
- Changing Higher Education
- Courageous Learning
- Durham in Wonderland
- New Realities in Higher Education
- Solutions for Our Future
- Southwest Airlines
- The College Puzzle
- Technology & Learning
- American Military University
- American Public University
- American Public University System
- Center for Teaching and Learning
- The Stream Multimedia
- Community of Scholars
- Scholar of the Week
- Education Trends
- Inside Higher Ed
- Journal of Internet Learning
- Campus Technology
- University Business
- Milken-Penn GSE Education Business Plan Competition
- Online Journal of Distance Learning Administration
- Excelsior College Presidents Forum
- Policy Studies Organization
- Connections Academy
- American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment
- Jefferson County Economic Development Authority