I was a panel participant at a conference last Thursday in Washington, DC. The conference was sponsored by the American Enterprise Institute and was called Stretching the Higher Education Dollar. The five panels that were convened included: The Case for Reform, Opportunities and Obstacles at Existing Institutions, Unbundling College Degrees in Theory and Practice, College in Pieces: Cost Effective Approaches to Student Services and Credentialing, and Implications for State and Federal Policy. Videos of the discussions are available at the previous link and papers written by some of the panelists on the topics will be available as well.… Read the rest
Tag Archives | American Enterprise Institute
In the past several years, online higher education has come under increased scrutiny by the federal government and policymakers. As a relatively new trend, online education has been closely examined by some, not so closely examined by others, and has a number of critics. In a recent report called “Odd Man Out: How Government Supports Private-Sector Innovation, Except in Education,” published by the American Enterprise Institute, author John Bailey notes that an acute lack of support and engagement from government agencies to the private sector in education is not only out of sync with other public-private enterprises, it is counterproductive in attempting to reform higher education. … Read the rest
America’s declining college graduation rates have been the subject of many a political speech or hearing lately. President Obama set a long term goal for his administration to restore America’s prominence in the percentage of its citizens with college degrees. When you examine the research literature regarding student attrition, persistence, or graduation rates, there are thousands of publications and numerous dissertations written about some aspect of those topics.
John Thelin is a research professor in the Department of Educational Policy Studies and Evaluation at the College of Education at the University of Kentucky. … Read the rest
- Celebrating Innovation in Education at the 2013 Milken-Penn GSE Education Business Plan Competition May 15, 2013
- College (Un)Bound by Jeffrey J. Selingo May 14, 2013
- Nature and Needs of Higher Education May 2, 2013
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On April 29, 2013
- Education Innovation: Fad or Burgeoning Industry? April 24, 2013
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns August 6, 2008
- The “Myths” About Online Education May 4, 2010
- Charlene Li’s Groundswell May 27, 2008
- Higher Ed’s Economic Challenges May 25, 2010
- My Vote is For Apple September 29, 2008
- WallyBoston.com | Education Innovation: Fad or Burgeoning Industry?: [...] the disrupters by utilizing the technology a...
- WallyBoston.com | Earth Day: [...] is Earth Day and it seems fitting to share a...
- Disruption in Higher Education | Wallace Boston: [...] written about MOOCs in the past (see “What...
- Juan Rosado: All, Dr. Delbanco is giving a webinar/class on th...
- Juan Rosado: I heard Dr. Koller and other panelists on the Dian...
Blogs I Read
- Access with Success (Larry Penley)
- All Things Digital (Walt Mossberg)
- Center for College Affordability & Productivity
- Changing Higher Education
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Durham in Wonderland
- Josh Bernoff
- New Realities in Higher Education
- Solutions for Our Future
- Southwest Airlines
- The College Puzzle