By: Sebasti… Read the rest
Yesterday, the world recognized the death of Nelson Mandela with tributes from leaders of the world, leaders in his homeland of South Africa, and citizens everywhere. It would be hard to imagine anyone over the age of 18 who does not know who Mr. Mandela was. Imprisoned for treason during the apartheid era in South Africa, Mr. Mandela spent 27 years behind bars until his release in 1990. Four years later, he was elected as the first black president during South Africa’s first multi-racial elections in April 1994.… Read the rest
Yesterday morning, American Public University System (APUS) hosted a groundbreaking ceremony for the City of Charles Town and Ranson, WV Community Revitalization Project. The event featured a public reception at our administrative/finance center and remarks by Governor Earl Ray Tomblin, Congresswoman Shelley Moore Capito, Ranson Mayor David Hamill, and Charles Town Mayor Peggy Smith. Representatives of the US Department of Transportation, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the
Educating part-time higher ed students is undeniably complex, and critical for the economy, employers, society, and the non-traditional, working adult student. This is especially true as nations accelerate their embrace of an increasingly diverse, multi-skilled workforce and are committed to lifelong learning to help spur economic growth. Tricia King, pro-vice-master for student experience and director of external relations at Birkbeck, University of London, skillfully addresses these trends with telling research from across the pond.
As evidence, King cites a new report, “The power of part-time,” published by Universities UK (UUK), which emphasizes how part-time study is a “powerhouse for skills” and calls for immediate action to improve and better understand provisions for part-time students.… Read the rest
American Public University System has received a Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) Effective Practice Award for its “Online Learning Contact Hour Calculator,” an adaptive model for calculating contact hours. This makes us the first three-time winner of the award. The university was recognized today at the annual Sloan-C
International Conference on Online Learning.
By Elena Mastors, Dean of Applied Research
When faced with a complex question for which we don… Read the rest
On Veterans Day, we celebrate and honor members of our nation… Read the rest
In July, 2013, Sallie Mae released its annual report, “How America Pays for College.” Ipsos Public Affairs conducted the survey, which focuses on undergraduate students, ages 18 to 24 years old. Half of the survey population were enrolled students; the other half included parents of enrolled undergraduate students. The most recent edition of the report examines how Americans paid for college for the 2012-13 academic year, most likely relevant only for “traditional” students (18-24 year olds attending college full-time after high school graduation).A report that focuses on non-traditional college students’ funding of college would be of interest as well.… Read the rest
- Deliberating College Affordability April 11, 2014
- Long-Term Planning Necessary for Financial Stability April 4, 2014
- The Internet and Life in 2025 March 17, 2014
- Three Big Questions – Episode 3 with Dr. Phil Ice March 5, 2014
- “The Rising Cost of Not Going to College” – Food for Thought February 25, 2014
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns August 6, 2008
- The “Myths” About Online Education May 4, 2010
- Charlene Li’s Groundswell May 27, 2008
- Higher Ed’s Economic Challenges May 25, 2010
- My Vote is For Apple September 29, 2008
- WallyBoston.com | Education Innovation: Fad or Burgeoning Industry?: [...] the disrupters by utilizing the technology a...
- WallyBoston.com | Earth Day: [...] is Earth Day and it seems fitting to share a...
- Disruption in Higher Education | Wallace Boston: [...] written about MOOCs in the past (see “What...
- Juan Rosado: All, Dr. Delbanco is giving a webinar/class on th...
- Juan Rosado: I heard Dr. Koller and other panelists on the Dian...
Blogs I Read
- Access with Success (Larry Penley)
- All Things Digital (Walt Mossberg)
- Center for College Affordability & Productivity
- Changing Higher Education
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Durham in Wonderland
- Josh Bernoff
- New Realities in Higher Education
- Solutions for Our Future
- Southwest Airlines
- The College Puzzle