The state of the economy is a well-known story these days and the unemployment rate is just one indicator of the trouble. Unemployment rates linger around 8.3 percent (as reported by the Bureau of Labor Statistics [BLS] on March 9 for February 2012). The number of long-term unemployed (classified as those unemployed for 27 weeks or more) remained unchanged in February, hovering at 5.4 million people (approximately 43 percent of the total unemployed). The statistics related to unemployment among America’s veterans, however, are especially troubling. … Read the rest
Archive | Honoring our Military RSS feed for this section
Today is Veterans Day, a day designed to celebrate our nation’s armed forces, their commitment, and their ultimate sacrifices. Though this day comes only once each year, the special individuals to whom it is dedicated deserve our thanks every day. The last year has been a tumultuous one for the entire world and the men and women of the American military have been engaged in various theaters of operations beyond Iraq and Afghanistan. At home and abroad, US military forces continue to provide proof of General Douglas MacArthur’s statement that, “Americans never quit.”
Our military responded to a series of natural disasters this year. … Read the rest
It has been a decade since the unprecedented terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Despite the time that has passed, our memories of that day remain fresh and raw. More than 3,000 lives were lost in the attacks at New York City and the Pentagon as terrorist hijackers flew two planes into the World Trade Center and one into the Pentagon. More than 400 firefighters, police officers, and other first responders lost their lives responding to the tragedies in New York and Washington. … Read the rest
I recently received an email that was quite touching and I thought worth sharing here (see below). SSgt Darrell “Shifty” Powers served with the 101st Airborne Infantry Easy Company. Anyone who has read Stephen Ambrose’s Band of Brothers or seen the HBO hit series by the same name will recognize Shifty’s name. Actor Peter Youngblood Hills portrays Shifty’s character on the HBO series.
SSgt Powers died at his home in Dickenson County, Virginia on June 17 at the age of 86 after losing a prolonged battle with cancer. … Read the rest
- Why Private Schools are Dying Out May 20, 2013
- Celebrating Innovation in Education at the 2013 Milken-Penn GSE Education Business Plan Competition May 15, 2013
- College (Un)Bound by Jeffrey J. Selingo May 14, 2013
- Nature and Needs of Higher Education May 2, 2013
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On April 29, 2013
- The “Myths” About Online Education May 4, 2010
- Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns August 6, 2008
- Charlene Li’s Groundswell May 27, 2008
- Higher Ed’s Economic Challenges May 25, 2010
- My Vote is For Apple September 29, 2008
- WallyBoston.com | Education Innovation: Fad or Burgeoning Industry?: [...] the disrupters by utilizing the technology a...
- WallyBoston.com | Earth Day: [...] is Earth Day and it seems fitting to share a...
- Disruption in Higher Education | Wallace Boston: [...] written about MOOCs in the past (see “What...
- Juan Rosado: All, Dr. Delbanco is giving a webinar/class on th...
- Juan Rosado: I heard Dr. Koller and other panelists on the Dian...
Blogs I Read
- Access with Success (Larry Penley)
- All Things Digital (Walt Mossberg)
- Center for College Affordability & Productivity
- Changing Higher Education
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Durham in Wonderland
- Josh Bernoff
- New Realities in Higher Education
- Solutions for Our Future
- Southwest Airlines
- The College Puzzle